Saturday, February 12, 2011

Black Ops

I'm at the video store with my 13 year old son and his friend.  The two of them are chewing massive wads of berry-flavoured bubblegum, perusing the aisles and chatting about the latest video games on the shelves.  I overhear, "I totally want to play Black Ops," followed by an enthusiastic exchange of indeterminable teenaged male utterances.  They refer to, of course, the new Call of Duty game, one that is rated 'M' and stands a snowball's chance of ever entering my household.



At launch, Black Ops sold 7 million copies and as of December of 2010, a combined 68,000 years worth of game time has been logged.  Chrysler has even manufactured a limited edition Black Ops Jeep Wrangler in response to the popularity of this game.  It's no wonder my son finds himself caught up in the wave of media attention this game has received.  As a parent, how do I respond?

How are Call of Duty games catering to the interests of boys and what compels my son to participate?

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/83240/gamers-have-already-played-68000-years-of-cod-black-ops/
http://kotaku.com/#!5667616/treyarch-explains-the-call-of-duty-jeep-wrangler

No comments:

Post a Comment